[Python-Dev] Python Specializing Compiler

RIGO Armin Armin.Rigo@ima.unil.ch
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 11:01:18 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Paul Prescod wrote:

> Armin Rigo wrote:
> > I am considering using GNU Lightning to produce code from the Psyco
> > compiler. (...)
>
> Core Python has no GPLed components. I would hate to have you put in a
> bunch of work worthy of inclusion in core Python to see it rejected on
> those grounds.

Good remark. Anyone else has comments about this ?

Psyco would probably not be part of the core Python, but only an extension
module; but your objection is nevertheless valid.

Any alternatives ?

I am considering a more theoretical approach, based on Tunes
(http://tunes.org) as mentionned in Psyco's readme file, but this would
take a lot more time -- althought it might give much more impressive
results.

Armin.