[Python-Dev] Python API version & optional features

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:37:27 +0200

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> >> I guess one could argue that extension writers should check
> >> for narrow/wide builds in their extensions before using Unicode.
> >>
> >> Since the number of Unicode extension writers is much smaller
> >> than the number of users, I think that this apporach would be
> >> reasonable, provided that we document the problem clearly in the
> >> NEWS file.
>
> > OK.  I approve.
>
> I'm not sure I can follow. What did you approve?

To use macros in unicodeobject.h which then map all interface names
to either PyUnicodeUC2_* or PyUnicodeUCS4_*. The linker will then
report the mismatch in interfaces.

> That extension
> writers should check whether their Unicode build matches the one they
> get at run-time? How are they going to do that?

They would have to use at least one of the PyUnicode_* APIs in
their code.

I think it would also be a good idea to provide
a non-mangled PyUnicode_UnicodeSize() API which would then return
the number of bytes occupied by Py_UNICODE of the Python build.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH