[Python-Dev] Python API version & optional features

Guido van Rossum guido@zope.com
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 22:02:06 -0400

> >> I guess one could argue that extension writers should check
> >> for narrow/wide builds in their extensions before using Unicode.
> >>
> >> Since the number of Unicode extension writers is much smaller
> >> than the number of users, I think that this apporach would be
> >> reasonable, provided that we document the problem clearly in the
> >> NEWS file.
>
> > OK.  I approve.
>
> I'm not sure I can follow. What did you approve? That extension
> writers should check whether their Unicode build matches the one they
> get at run-time? How are they going to do that?

With an explicit call.  They know their compile-time unicode width,
they can pass that to a function defined in the main Python/C API
which asserts that the argument is the same as *its* compile-time
unicode width.