[Python-Dev] Parrot -- should life imitate satire?

Nathan Torkington gnat@oreilly.com
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 20:15:34 -0700

Andrew Kuchling writes:
> There's also the cultural difference between Python's "write it
> clearly and then optimize it" and Perl's "let's write clever optimized
> code right from the start".  Perhaps this can be bridged, perhaps not.

The people designing and implementing perl6 have already agreed on a
"do it clean, then make it faster" approach.  We can all see the
problems with the current Perl internals, and have no desire to repeat
the mistakes of the past.

There may or may not be impedence mismatch between the two languages
(Perl's flexitypes might be one of the sticking points) but this won't
be one of them.

Nat