[Python-Dev] Parrot -- should life imitate satire?

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 15:23:27 -0400 (EDT)

  ESR> Following my conversation with Guido, I've put doing an
  ESR> architectural comparison of the existing Python and Perl
  ESR> bytecodes at the top of my priority list.  I'm flying to Taipei
  ESR> tomorrow and will have a lot of hours on airplanes with my
  ESR> laptop to do this.

Eric,

This is a good project.  It's really difficult to evaluate the Parrot
proposal otherwise.  I know quite a bit about Python's VM and runtime,
but next to nothing about Perl's.

If you're feeling particularly energetic, you might look at some other
VM's -- Ocaml, Java, and Ruby come to mind.  It is probably a much
harder fit for the first two, because they are statically typed.  But
I'd be quite interested to see a survey of language VM techniques.

Jeremy