[Python-Dev] Re: [Q] patches in maintenace branch

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 01:05:33 +0200

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 02:45:45PM -0400, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

>   It came out the other day that you'd rather not have anyone making
> checkins on the maintenance branch, but would like to migrate patches
> yourself.  Can you add a discussion about this to the bugfix-release
> PEP?

Yeah. I plan to update it with a bunch of practical info.

>   One issue that might need to be addressed is that I'd like to be
> able to keep a fairly up-to-date version of the patched documentation
> available at http://python.sourceforge.net/maint-docs/, so I'd like to
> discourage long periods between integrations (unless of course there's
> nothing to merge in).

You were implictly allowed to do anything you want in the documentation
tree. Documentation doesn't create broken code, and I didn't expect you to
check in documentation that was wrong or for features that don't exist in
the maintenance branch. (But I kept an eye on what you checked in none the
less :)

>   I'd also like to thank you -- you did a great job as the release
> manager for 2.1.1!

Pfah, no, I didn't :) It started out good, but I lost energy and focus in
the end. This has also a lot do with lousy planning on my side... My
girlfriend was scheduled to go on vacation three weeks ago; instead, she's
leaving tomorrow, and she decided to use tonight to rent a truck and move
all of our leftover stuff from the old house (which we still lease for free)
to the new one (which we've been living in for months :P) That's why I was
offline for most of the US afternoon, today.

Anyway, better luck next time :)

Mental-note-to-self--need-to-add-sourceforge-address-to-'alternates'-ly y'rs,
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>