[Python-Dev] [Q] patches in maintenace branch

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:45:45 -0400 (EDT)

Thomas,
  It came out the other day that you'd rather not have anyone making
checkins on the maintenance branch, but would like to migrate patches
yourself.  Can you add a discussion about this to the bugfix-release
PEP?
  The discussion should include rationale and any information needed
to make branch management easier (cookbook-style instructions for
multiple merges, for example!), and guidelines so that the managers
for bugfix releases won't wait too long to integrate patches.
  One issue that might need to be addressed is that I'd like to be
able to keep a fairly up-to-date version of the patched documentation
available at http://python.sourceforge.net/maint-docs/, so I'd like to
discourage long periods between integrations (unless of course there's
nothing to merge in).
  I'd also like to thank you -- you did a great job as the release
manager for 2.1.1!

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>