[Python-Dev] Python 2.2a1 nits

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:32:05 -0400

On 20 July 2001, M.-A. Lemburg said:
> * configure options: the options should follow a single
>   methodology (either all use --with(out)-<feature> or all
>   use --enable-<feature>/--disable-<feature>) and the
>   defaults should be clearly indicated...

Actually, the Autoconf docs say there is a difference between
"with/without" and "enable/disable":

  Some packages pay attention to `--enable-FEATURE' options to
  `configure', where FEATURE indicates an optional part of the package.
  They may also pay attention to `--with-PACKAGE' options, where PACKAGE
  is something like `gnu-as' or `x' (for the X Window System).  The
  `README' should mention any `--enable-' and `--with-' options that the
  package recognizes.

IOW, --enable is for internal features, --with is for interfaces to
external features/programs/libraries (as I read it).  So I think most of
the --with/--enable options are right, but:

>   --with-pydebug                  build with Py_DEBUG defined

should be --enable-pydebug

>   --with-signal-module            disable/enable signal module

should be --enable-signal-module (I think)

>   --with(out)-cycle-gc            disable/enable garbage collection
>   --with(out)-pymalloc            disable/enable specialized mallocs

should be --enable-cycle-gc and --enable-pymalloc

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Linux weenie                                gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/