[Python-Dev] Python 2.1.1

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 14:48:14 +0200

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 05:23:49AM -0700, Neil Schemenauer wrote:
> Thomas Wouters wrote:
> > In other words: it's a mess.

> It sure is.  You don't want to change the DB implementation used if it
> worked in 2.1.  I believe that different DBs use different storage
> formats.  People would not be happy if they upgraded to a point release
> and all their DBs broke (i.e. with 2.1 dbm was actually gdbm but with
> 2.1.1 it is db1).

I didn't touch the autoconf code that finds the include file, nor the #ifdef
mess in dbmmodule.c that decides which to use, so it could only lead to
unrunnable/uncompilable code, not to a new .db silently being used. But I
agree that this is not a suitable fix for 2.1.1, I just wish we could fix it
better :)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>