[Python-Dev] While we're deprecating...

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Thu, 05 Jul 2001 09:12:46 -0400

> While we're in the deprecation mood (not that I changed my mind on xrage()
> ;P) how about we deprecate the alternate-tab-size-comment checks of the
> parser. That is, generate a deprecation warning for these comments:
>
>                         "tab-width:",           /* Emacs */
>                         ":tabstop=",            /* vim, full form */
>                         ":ts=",                 /* vim, abbreviated form */
>                         "set tabsize=",         /* will vi never die? */
>
> with sizes other than '8', and rip out the code in 2.3 ?

Was this ever even documented?  Is it worth being so careful?  We
could rip out the functionality now, replacing it with a warning, and
lose the warning in 2.3.  Or we could just rip it out now, and always
enable the -t option.  (Hm, that should be unified with the warnings
framework, although I'm not sure how easy that will be.)