[Python-Dev] PEP 250, site-python, site-packages

Aahz Maruch aahz@rahul.net
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 11:11:45 -0700 (PDT)

Gregor Hoffleit wrote:

> So let me paraphrase: Provided the maintainer of the Debian Python
> package would do a good job and keep the package always up-to-date,
> would you think there's a real world need for concurrent Python versions
> on the same system ?

Yes.  Thing is, you're going to have Debian system scripts that will
possibly rely on a specific version of Python.  It's not fair to expect
users to upgrade the OS every time they want a newer version of Python,
yet you can't take a chance on the system scripts breaking.
--
                      --- Aahz (@pobox.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6       <*>       http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

I don't really mind a person having the last whine, but I do mind someone
else having the last self-righteous whine.