[Python-Dev] CVS

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Tue, 03 Jul 2001 10:31:40 -0400

> Slightly off-topic, but I've depleted all my other sources :) I'm trying to
> get CVS to give me all logentries for all checkins in a specific branch (the
> 2.1.1 branch) so I can pipe it through logmerge. It seems the one thing I'm
> missing now is a branchpoint tag (which should translate to a revision with
> an even number of dots, apparently) but 'release21' and 'release21-maint'
> both don't qualify. Even the usage logmerge suggests (cvs log -rrelease21)
> doesn't work, gives me a bunch of "no revision elease21' in <file>"
> warnings and just all logentries for those files.

But those files should be old, so logmerge should safely sort their
messages last, right?

> Am I missing something simple, here, or should I hack logmerge to parse the
> symbolic names, figure out the even-dotted revision for each file from the
> uneven-dotted branch-tag, and filter out stuff outside that range ? :P

You're lucky: at least the fork point is tagged (release21).  For the
descr-branch, if I want to do some kind of reasonable merge, I'll have
to write a tool that figures out the fork point and tags it.  That's
one "cvs tag" call for each file...