[Python-Dev] Any objections to adding threading.Timer?

Sat, 11 Aug 2001 10:06:35 +0200

> Hrm.  I'll put my comments there if you ask, but my objection is more
> general than this specific feature.  As you note, I'm actually objecting
> to the whole Condition.wait() feature.  The main problem with this kind
> of timeout is the way the granularity works; there was a recent post to
> c.l.py where someone was complaining that it took a full second to
> respond to the Event() getting set.

Please do. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the timeout of the Timer won't
be precise; that clearly is undesirable. It also seems that this would
be easy to correct: If endtime-_time() < delay, you have to decrease
delay.

What then is left is that cancellation of the timer may take up to a
second, that should be documented. I think it is possible to do better
than that on some systems; maybe somebody feels inclined to improve
the code on, say, UNIX.

Regards,
Martin