[Python-Dev] Re: WebDAV in python 2.2?

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 12:12:54 -0700

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 08:54:17AM -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > GvR also wondered if Python 2.2 should support DAV ("That's another
> > open protocol that Python could easily support out of the box.") and
> > /F agreed, but Greg Stein, the DAV expert and champion on python-dev,
> > remained silent.
>
> Greg, I now know where you were.  Since you're back, any comments?

I saw that thread while I was deleting over 200,000 duplicate messages from
my inbox :-( ... I just haven't got to that part of my "real" inbox yet.

My intent was to write a short PEP because there would be a couple modules
to add to the lib:

1) httpauth -- subclasses httplib.HTTPConnection to add authenticated
   connections. Initially using the Basic auth method, but it could also be
   expanded to Digest (and others)

2) davlib -- my existing module. needs a couple items of work: allow
   alternate/fallback XML parsers (it uses Expat + qp_xml right now), and
   use the authenticated HTTP connections.

That is at least a start on what needs to happen. We can flesh it out with a
PEP or by checking in the modules.
(Moshe and I talked about httpauth a bit at the last Python Conference; I
 know he is interested in working on something like that)

I'm not sure how we normally write tests for network-based modules, but it
shouldn't be too hard to have them run against test.webdav.org.

Doc should be pretty straight-forward.

Cheers,
-g

--