[Python-Dev] Good news about ExtensionClass and Python 2.2a1

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 10:15:00 -0400

On 31 July 2001, Neil Schemenauer said:
> After a few tweaks to ExtensionClass and a few small fixes to some of
> our introspection code I'm happy to say that Python 2.2a1 passes our
> unit test suite.  This is significant since there are about 45000 lines
> of code (counted by "wc -l") tested by 3569 test cases.  Since we use
> ZODB ExtensionClasses are quite widely used.  Merging descr_branch into
> HEAD sounds like a good idea to me.  Well done Guido.

I hate to be a wet blanket, Neil, but we (the MEMS Exchange virtual fab
project) really have more like 18000 lines of formally tested code, 6700
lines of test code, and 10000 lines of UI code (which isn't formally
tested).  It's still a pretty big pile, though, and the fact that it can
be beaten into submission to work with 2.2 is great news.

(LoC figures are courtesy of Dinu Gherman's pycount, which distinguishes
code, docs, comments, and blank lines.  I'm just reporting the "code"
figure.)

> I'm going to spend a bit of time trying to rewrite the ZODB Persistent
> class as a type.

Excellent!

        Greg
--