[Python-Dev] Parrot -- should life imitate satire?

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 01:03:18 -0400

[Guido van Rossum]
> Dan's recent contributions make me a lot less optimistic.
> Don't ask me to explain -- I don't have the time, sorry.  The other
> participants in the thread are doing a good job.

[Dan Sugalski]
> I would appreciate it if, when you have a chance, you (or someone)
> would clue me in. I've apparently offended, and that was not, in any
> way, my intent. My apologies all around.

Ah.  My primary job in the Python Community is channeling Guido:  By "the
other participants are doing a good job", he doesn't mean you *aren't* doing
a good job.  Not at all!  He means that they're doing a good enough job of
expressing his concerns that he doesn't feel terrible about not having
enough time of his own to participate.  No offense taken!  You're doing a
good job too.

> I think I've overstayed my welcome,

Not at all -- it's a good discussion, and perfectly appropriate for
Python-Dev.  I wish I had more time for it too.

> so I'll bow out here before muddying things up any worse.

Please stay.  Just try to avoid mentioning Perl, lest you offend Guido again
<wink>.