R: [Python-Dev] Parrot -- should life imitate satire?

Samuele Pedroni pedroni@inf.ethz.ch
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 04:52:28 +0200

[Eric S. Raymond]
> No, but we want to be able to interoperate with Perl and have if possible
> have just one back end on which efforts to do things like native code
> compilation can be concentrated.

>From my experience of the relative pain of a dynamic language over a static
typed VM,
and from the fact that native (dynamic?) compilation of Python/Perl would
reduce
the amount of code that must/is perceived to have to  be written C, if the goal
is to work on the long run on native compilation, that's a *great* goal.

Sharing C extesion would be also a good thing, no more duplicated efforts
for writing wrapping code for important libraries.

Sharing Perl libraries I feel is somehow different, using a library needs often
to read the code,
what would be the sentiment if a large part of the code a python program calls
is written in Perl.

IMHO also the fact of not merging the type "ontologies" but carrying somehow
both around
is a bit scary.

regards, Samuele Pedroni.