[Python-Dev] Parrot -- should life imitate satire?

Ka-Ping Yee ping@lfw.org
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 18:12:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Things Python would bring to this party: our serious-cool GC, our
> C extension/embedding system (*much* nicer than XS).  Things Perl would
> bring: blazingly fast regexps, taint, flexitypes, references.

I don't really understand the motivation.  Do we want any of those things?

Are our current regexps not good enough?
What are flexitypes, and why would we really want them?
Don't we already have references?

Taint might be worth something, and i would see the regexp engine as
incrementally better perhaps, but that doesn't seem enough to justify
a massive re-engineering of both languages.

-- ?!ng