[Python-Dev] RE: Python-Dev digest, Vol 1 #1324 - 16 msgs

Greg Wilson Greg.Wilson@baltimore.com
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:07:26 -0400

> > Thomas Heller:
> > PS: I find it strange that everyone so far seems to be against it.

> Tim Peters:
> I didn't get that sense yet.  I did get the sense they're not
> actively *for* it yet, and the questions asked so far explain why:
> What does it buy us?

Greg Wilson:
I'd really like class methods so that my classes can carry their
factory methods around with them, and so that these factories can
be selectively overridden in derived classes.  I have machinery
to do all of this using freestanding functions, but it's clumsy
and error-prone.  Of course, so is a lot of my code... :-)