[Python-Dev] Re: Problem with SSL and socketmodule on Debian Potato?

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 08:34:38 -0500

> > Even worse (in my view), the error message is as soon as the socket
> > module is imported!  This is bad, because most uses of socket aren't
> > interested in its SSl capabilities!
>
> Yeah, well, for 2.2 I'm planning to have a suggestion for redoing the
> SSL support in Python, which is currently brain damaged in many ways,
> and this is one.

So why even bother adding the EGD support?

> > I don't like either one.
>
> Mine at least has the property that we're no worse off then 2.0

Except that it still has a chance of issuing a warning!  I'm very
tempted to rip out all code added by your patch.

> > > + #if OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER < 0x0090510fL
> >
> > Don't you have this backwards?
>
> Yes, sorry.

I've had it.  I'm ripping out that patch.  People who want EGD support
desperate enough can download the patch from SF.