[Python-Dev] What to choose to replace Tkinter?

Greg Ward gward@mems-exchange.org
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:18:50 -0400

On 26 October 2000, James C. Ahlstrom said:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
> > Even Microsoft is violating its own (boring) style guide, when they
> > think it appeals to a specific audience.  Have you seen their Media
> > Player?
>
> Yes, very slick.  My daughter has an app where you click on
> doors to access parts of the program.  Nice design.

This is generally considered Bad Form by usability types.  I think it
boils down to this: the computer is not the real world, and trying to
emulate the real world on the computer is cutesy but a dead end.

Go look for "User Interface Hall of Shame" at your friendly
neighbourhood search engine for many enjoyable rants against bad GUI
design, including the "emulate the real world" school of thought.

Anyways, this is not a usability mailing list... back to our regularly
scheduled python-dev...

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@mems-exchange.org
MEMS Exchange / CNRI                           voice: +1-703-262-5376