[Python-Dev] Re: ajuba acquired by interwoven

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:58:20 -0400

Andrew Kuchling <akuchlin@mems-exchange.org>:
> Some details begin to emerge at
> http://www.ajubasolutions.com/company/whatsnew.html
>
> It looks like some of their proprietary code will be released as open
> source, possibly including the TclPro development environment.  The
> new company will not be funding Tcl/Tk development, and instead it's
> up to the 14 members of the recently-formed Tcl core team.  I don't
> know if any of those people are being paid to work on Tcl, but
> probably at least some of them are.  I expect this will cause a good
> deal disruption, perhaps even a fatal amount, particularly if core
> developers such as Jeffrey Hobbs no longer work on Tcl full-time.

Not necessarily...

Good for Tcl: they *have* a core team now

Bad for Tcl: at 14 it's too big, unless there's some inner core of no
	more than three or four architects.

Good for Tcl: Much of the proprietary code will go open.

Bad for Tcl: Not clear whether the two Ajuba employees "replaced" are
		on the new core team. Not clear whether their time
		available will increase or decrease.

Good for Tcl: Osterhout's rather lame attempts to develop under a mixed
		model have almost certainly come to an end in favor of
		an Apache-like model funded by big Tcl users.

With good leadership, they could manage the transition to something
resembling the Apache Software Foundation's organization.  If so, Tcl
might actually improve.

Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic
weapons.  A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple
weapon -- so long as there is no answer to it -- gives claws to the
weak.
        -- George Orwell, "You and the Atom Bomb", 1945