Building for Win64 (was: Re: [Python-Dev] Re: Python 2.0 release candidate 1)

Bjorn Pettersen bjorn@roguewave.com
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:24:00 -0600

To answer some of your questions:

- there is no win64 devstudio (and I haven't found a way of getting the
current devstudio to use the new compiler)
- Intel does have a native compiler for win64 (don't use it, see below).
- If you look in ia64xdevsdk\bin\win64 there is a cl.exe which is the
Microsoft compiler. It works MUCH better. It's also binary compatible
with the Intel ecl compiler, and they didn't have any problems with us
switching.

My main interest is in having a python version that runs on the itanium
box with socket support (they included socket support in sdk2 didn't
they?) I.e. no need to provide a build mechanism for my needs if you can
refer me to an executable ;-)

-- bjorn