[Python-Dev] Proposal -- makefile patches and scripts to generate python RPMs

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 05 Oct 2000 17:00:12 +0200

Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 07:25:37PM +0200, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> >isn't this a distutils thing?  see:
> >ftp://python.beopen.com/pub/docco/devel/dist/creating-rpms.html
> >(lazy programmers just press the "deploy" button, of course ;-)
>
> It's not immediately obvious that the Distutils 1.0, which after all
> mostly aims to support installing Python modules, can be applied to
> installing Python itself, what with all the libraries and scripts and
> such that Python needs.  It certainly is something to aim for, and I
> intend to work on this some more after 2.0, but the attempt might run
> into missing Distutil features.  Whether it's worth adding rules for
> RPM in the meantime is up to the Pythoneers; I'm 0 on it.  (Not +0 or
> -0, just 0 -- a Nirvana-like state of utter unconcern.)

distutils is not useful for installing Python (it needs Python
to start with), but it does a pretty good job at finding the
needed files and can generate RPMs which can be used without
distutils or Python. It even allows adding handcrafted sections
to the resulting RPM.

If anybody plans to help in this direction, I'd suggest to add
those efforts to the build_rpm command in distutils (and the
build_deb command for that matter).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg