[Python-Dev] Proposal -- makefile patches and scripts to generate python RPMs

Wed, 4 Oct 2000 14:02:19 -0400

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 07:25:37PM +0200, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>isn't this a distutils thing?  see:
>ftp://python.beopen.com/pub/docco/devel/dist/creating-rpms.html
>(lazy programmers just press the "deploy" button, of course ;-)

It's not immediately obvious that the Distutils 1.0, which after all
mostly aims to support installing Python modules, can be applied to
installing Python itself, what with all the libraries and scripts and
such that Python needs.  It certainly is something to aim for, and I
intend to work on this some more after 2.0, but the attempt might run
into missing Distutil features.  Whether it's worth adding rules for
RPM in the meantime is up to the Pythoneers; I'm 0 on it.  (Not +0 or
-0, just 0 -- a Nirvana-like state of utter unconcern.)

--amk