[Python-Dev] Re: [Bug #121013] Bug in <stringobject>.join(<unicodestring>)

Michael Hudson mwh21@cam.ac.uk
27 Nov 2000 20:30:31 +0000

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:

> > Date: 2000-Nov-27 10:12
> > By: mwh
> >
> > Comment:
> > I hope you're all suitably embarrassed - please see patch #102548 for the trivial fix...
>
> Hehe, that was indeed a trivial patch. What was that about trees
> in a forest...

The way I found it was perhaps instructive.  I was looking at the
function, and thought "that's a bit complicated" so I rewrote it (My
rewrite also seems to be bit quicker so I'll upload it as soon as make
test has finished[*]).  In the course of rewriting it, I saw the line
my patch touched and went "duh!".

> I still think that the PySequence_Fast_GETITEM() macro should at
> least include a fall-back type check which causes some exception in
> case the used object was not "fixed" using PySequence_Fast() (which
> I only noticed in string_join() just now).

It's hard to see how; you're not going to check each invocation of
PySequence_Fast_GETITEM for a NULL return, are you?  It's possible
that PySequence_Fast should raise an exception on being passed a
string or Unicode object... but probably not.

> Fredrik's PySequence_Fast_* APIs look interesting, BTW. Should be
> used more often :-)

Yes.  But they're pretty new, aren't they?  I find them a bit
unsatisfactory that it's not possible to hoist the type check out of
the inner loop.  Still, it seems my PII's branch predictor nails that
one... (i.e. changing it so that it didn't check inside the loop made
naff-all difference to the running time).

Cheers,
M.

[*] which reminds me: test_unicodedata is failing for me at the
    moment.  Anyone else seeing this?  It looks like a python
    regrtest.py -g is all that's needed...

--
7. It is easier to write an incorrect program than understand a
   correct one.