[Python-Dev] Starship, Python.org, etc.

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 12:59:36 -0500

    AK> News/mail gatewaying seems fairly seriously broken at the
    AK> moment; I've noticed many followups to posts that I've never
    AK> seen.  I read c.l.p on news.cnri.reston.va.us, presumably the
    AK> same machine used for NNTP posting by python.org's Mailman,
    AK> which would imply that Mailman is at fault.

Not necessarily.

First, there's certainly nothing in the Mailman log files indicating
any problems writing to nntp.  Second, Mailman on python.org actually
gates messages to ournews.cnri.reston.va.us which is an internal
machine on the CNRI network, and should be one hop downstream from
news.cnri.reston.va.us (a.k.a. news.alterdial.uu.net).

My prediction is that the news is piling up on ournews and there are
problems feeding those messages upstream to alterdial.  This is not a
rare occurance unfortunately.  A while back I contacted the CNRI
admins about this, but I don't remember hearing a positive resolution.

I'm reluctant to point python-list's newserver directly at the
alterdial machine because I remember there were worse problems with
that approach (like postings actually getting lost as opposed to just
sitting behind a log jam -- ournews never expires c.l.py.* postings).

Andrew, maybe you can ping the folks at CNRI more directly to at least
make sure that there are no problems between ournews<->news?

-Barry