[Python-Dev] Integer division transition

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:38:51 -0500 (EST)

Charles G Waldman writes:
 > OK, I stand corrected and feel suitably foolish.  However I still
 > think it's quite inconsistent to have divmod(a,b) but a div b.

  I suspect div would be much more widely used than divmod(), which is
essentially a performance optimization when you need both results.
One reason *not* to make divmod() an operator, aside from issues of
legacy code, is that it really returns two results (never mind that it
returns exactly one tuple); I can't think of another operator that
conceptually returns two values.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>