[Python-Dev] Integer division transition

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 10:30:00 -0500 (EST)

Guido van Rossum writes:
 > But I don't know how comfy I am with a proliferation of hacks like
 > this -- and it's likely to cause more confusing error messages.

  If "div" is it, I'd rather see it made a keyword and a warning
published to the community soon so that people have a chance to check
their code and either make it compatible with the change or scream
ahead of time.
  A tool to help them out wouldn't hurt, either, and that could be
written before any actual changes are made or even final decisions are
made -- it could search everything on sys.path and report on uses that
would be affected by each candidate change.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Digital Creations