[Python-Dev] uthread strawman

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 07 Nov 2000 21:58:20 -0500

> Guido:
>
> > I hope that it will be possible to make it a lot simpler than current
> > stackless though, by not doing continuations.

[Greg Ewing]
> My feeling is that this won't be the case. The fundamental
> change of structure needed to make it stackless will be
> much the same, as will the thought processes necessary
> to understand how it works.

I hope you are wrong but you may be right.  I'll have to have a good
look -- or someone else (not Christian!  With all due respect his code
is unreadable :-).

> > Where it gets tricky is when this spawns a new uthread, which also
> > calls C which calls Python... The solution is simply that the
> > application "shouldn't do that."
>
> I worry that this is going to be a rather severe restriction.
> For instance, it may make it impossible to spawn a uthread
> from within a callback from a GUI framework. Since with many
> GUI frameworks the entire application gets executed in
> callbacks, you wouldn't be able to use uthreads at all with
> such a framework.

But that's the same problem that current stackless has.  I take it
that you don't see the point of stackless then?  That's fine.  Maybe
this is not an application that could use uthreads.  They seem more
something for servers anyway.