[Python-Dev] uthread strawman

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed, 08 Nov 2000 15:12:09 +1300 (NZDT)

Guido:

> I hope that it will be possible to make it a lot simpler than current
> stackless though, by not doing continuations.

My feeling is that this won't be the case. The fundamental
change of structure needed to make it stackless will be
much the same, as will the thought processes necessary
to understand how it works.

> Where it gets tricky is when this spawns a new uthread, which also
> calls C which calls Python... The solution is simply that the
> application "shouldn't do that."

I worry that this is going to be a rather severe restriction.
For instance, it may make it impossible to spawn a uthread
from within a callback from a GUI framework. Since with many
GUI frameworks the entire application gets executed in
callbacks, you wouldn't be able to use uthreads at all with
such a framework.