[Python-Dev] New Wiki-based Python 2.0 Info Area

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 03 Nov 2000 11:07:13 -0500

At our PythonLabs group meeting last Tuesday we decided that we needed
to set up a Patches page and a FAQ for Python 2.0.  (This because we
don't see a reason yet to issue a bugfix release, but we do need to
answer some common questions and point people to some patches.)

I figured that we could do ourselves a favor by making this a set of
dynamic pages maintained wiki-style, rather than static pages
(especially since I've managed to personally become the bottleneck for
editing the static pages, until the move of python.org to a DC hosted
machine is complete :-).

So, when I saw the announcement of MoinMoin, a Wiki clone written in
Python as a single CGI script, I decided to try it -- instead of
ZWiki, which might be the obvious choice given my new employer.  This
is not because I don't like Zope or ZWiki, but because we can learn
from using different implementations of the same idea.

So, I humbly present the Python 2.0 Info Area:

    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin

I've added one critical patch, three non-critical (misc) patches,
answers to two frequent bug reports to the FAQ page, and a bunch of
links to the front page.

Note that to generate patches, I use SourceForge cvsweb's diff
feature.  The URLs are ugly, but only the page editors see these, and
it saves having to store copies of the patches.

I'd like to get some feedback from the python-dev group before I link
it into the 2.0 home page.