[Python-Dev] Expat module

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:41:45 -0500

> Fair enough; I'll just add the module itself, then, and we can always
> change it later.

OK.

> Should we consider replacing the makesetup/Setup.in mechanism with a
> setup.py script that uses the Distutils?  You'd have to compile a
> minipython with just enough critical modules -- strop and posixmodule
> are probably the most important ones -- in order to run setup.py.
> It's something I'd like to look at for 1.6, because then you could be
> much smarter in automatically enabling modules.

If you can come up with something that works well enough, that would
be great.  (Although I'm not sure where the distutils come in.)

We still need to use configure/autoconf though.

Hardcoding a small complement of modules is no problem.  (Why do you
think you need strop though?  Remember we have string methods!)