[Python-Dev] Expat module

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:48:13 -0500 (EST)

Guido van Rossum writes:
>> My next task is to add the Expat module.  My understanding is that
>> it's OK to add Expat itself, too; where should I put all that code?
>> Modules/expat/* ?
>
>Whoa...  Not sure.  This will give issues with Patrice, at least (even
>if it is pure Open Source -- given the size).  I'd prefer to add
>instructions to Setup.in about where to get it.

Fair enough; I'll just add the module itself, then, and we can always
change it later.

Should we consider replacing the makesetup/Setup.in mechanism with a
setup.py script that uses the Distutils?  You'd have to compile a
minipython with just enough critical modules -- strop and posixmodule
are probably the most important ones -- in order to run setup.py.
It's something I'd like to look at for 1.6, because then you could be
much smarter in automatically enabling modules.

This is the way of Haskell or Design by Contract of Eiffel. This one is like
wearing a XV century armor, you walk very safely but in a very tiring way.
  -- Manuel Gutierrez Algaba, 26 Jan 2000