[Python-Dev] delegating (was: 1.6 job list)

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 13:37:41 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Greg Stein wrote:
> > Plus, it's too much work -- I'd rather focus on getting 1.6 out of the
> > door, and there's a lot of other stuff I need to do besides moving
> > modules around.
>
> Stuff that *you* need to do, sure. But there *are* a lot of us who can
> help here, and some who desire to spend their time moving modules.

I just want to empahisize this point some more.

Python 1.6 has a defined timeline, with a defined set of minimal
requirements. However! I don't believe that a corollary of that says we
MUST ignore everything else. If those other options fit within the
required timeline, then why not? (assuming we have adequate testing and
doc to go with the changes)

There are ample people who have time and inclination to contribute. If
those contributions add positive benefit, then I see no reason to exclude
them (other than on pure merit, of course).

Note that some of the problems stem from CVS access. Much Guido-time could
be saved by a commit-then-review model, rather than review-then-Guido-
commits model. Fred does this very well with the Doc/ area.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/