[Python-Dev] Python 1.7 tokenization feature request

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 00:31:30 +0100

gvwilson@nevex.com wrote:

> > David Ascher wrote:
> > But the scheme you put forth causes major problems for current Python
> > users who *are* using glass TTYs, so I don't think it'll fly for very
> > basic political reasons nicely illustrated by Dave's response.
>
> Understood.  I thought that handling standard entities might be a
> useful first step toward storage of Python as XML, which in turn would
> help make Python more accessible to people who don't want to switch
> editors just to program.  I felt that an all-or-nothing approach would be
> even less likely to get a favorable response than handling entities... :-)

This should be easy to implement provided a hook for compile()
is added to e.g. the sys-module which then gets used instead
of calling the byte code compiler directly...

Then you could redirect the compile() arguments to whatever
codec you wish (e.g. a SGML entity codec) and the builtin
compiler would only see the output of that codec.

Well, just a thought... I don't think encoding programs would
make life as a programmer easier, but instead harder. It adds
one more level of confusion on top of it all.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg