[Python-Dev] Python 1.7 tokenization feature request

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 15:59:23 -0800

gvwilson@nevex.com wrote:

> 'S funny --- my non-programmer friends can't figure out why any sane
> person would use a glorified glass TTY like emacs... or why they should
> have to, just to program... I just think that someone's going to do this
> for some language, some time soon, and I'd rather Python be in the lead
> than play catch-up.

Your goal is worth pursuing but I agree with the others that the syntax
change is not the right way.

It _is_ possible to teach XMetaL to edit Python programs -- structurally
-- just as it does XML. What you do is hook into the macro engine (which
already supports Python) and use the Python tokenizer to build a parse
tree. You copy that into a DOM using the same elements and attributes
you would use if you were doing some kind of batch conversion. Then on
"save" you reverse the process. Implementation time: ~3 days.

The XMetaL competitor, Documentor has an API specifically designed to
make this sort of thing easy.

Making either of them into a friendly programmer's editor is a much
larger task. I think this is where the majority of the R&D should occur,
not at the syntax level. If one invents a fundamentally better way of
working with the structures behind Python code, then it would be
relatively easy to write code that maps that to today's Python syntax.

Out of timber so crooked as that which man is made nothing entirely
straight can be built. - Immanuel Kant