[Python-Dev] FW: Fixing os.popen on Win32 => is the win32pipe stuff going to be adopted?

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 08:36:14 +1100

> Point on the curve:  This program works perfectly on my
> machine running NT.

And running from Python.exe.  I bet you didnt try it from a GUI.

The situation is worse WRT Windows 95.  MS has a knowledge base article
describing the bug, and telling you how to work around it by using a
decicated .EXE.

So, out of the box, popen works only on a NT from a console - pretty sorry
state of affairs :-(

> I believe you when you say popen() is flakey.  It is a little
> harder to believe it is not possible to write a _popen()
> replacement using pipes which works.

Which is what I believe win32pipe.popen* are.

Mark.