[Python-Dev] FW: Fixing os.popen on Win32 => is the win32pipe stuff going to be adopted?

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 14:31:21 +1100

[Me]
> > Assuming the longer term plan is for other people to put together
> > installation packages, and that these people are free to redistribute
> > win32api/win32pipe, Im wondering if it is worth bothering with?

[Guido]
> So that everybody could use os.popen() regardless of whether they're
> on Windows or Unix.

Sure.  But what I meant was "should win32pipe code move into the core, or
should os.pipe() just auto-detect and redirect to win32pipe if installed?"

I was suggesting that over the longer term, it may be reasonable to assume
that win32pipe _will_ be installed, as everyone who releases installers for
Python should include it :-)  It could also be written in such a way that it
prints a warning message when win32pipe doesnt exist, so in 99% of cases, it
will answer the FAQ before they have had a chance to ask it :-)

It also should be noted that the win32pipe support for popen on Windows
95/98 includes a small, dedicated .exe - this just adds to the maintenance
burden.

But it doesnt worry me at all what happens - I was just trying to save you
work <wink>.  Anyone is free to take win32pipe and move the relevant code
into the core anytime they like, with my and Bill's blessing.  It quite
suits me that people have to download win32all to get this working, so I
doubt I will get around to it any time soon :-)

Mark.