[Python-Dev] FW: Fixing os.popen on Win32 => is the win32pipe stuff going to be adopted?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 08 Mar 2000 21:59:51 -0500

> My only "concern" is that this then becomes more code for Guido to maintain
> in the core, even though Guido has expressed a desire to get out of the
> installers business.

Theoretically, it shouldn't need much maintenance.  I'm more concerned
that it will have different semantics than on Unix so that in practice
you'd need to know about the platform anyway (apart from the fact that
the installed commands are different, of course).

> Assuming the longer term plan is for other people to put together
> installation packages, and that these people are free to redistribute
> win32api/win32pipe, Im wondering if it is worth bothering with?

So that everybody could use os.popen() regardless of whether they're
on Windows or Unix.