[Python-Dev] FW: Fixing os.popen on Win32 => is the win32pipe stuff going to be adopted?

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 08 Mar 2000 07:10:53 -0500

> Tim Peters wrote:
> >
> > Mike has a darned good point here.  Anyone have a darned good answer <wink>?
> > Subject: Fixing os.popen on Win32 => is the win32pipe stuff going to be
> > adopted?
> >
> > Just reading one more post (and a FAQ) on the win32 pipe breakage (sewage
> > all over the hard-disk, traffic rerouted through the bit-bucket, you aren't
> > getting to work anytime soon Mrs. Programmer) and wondering why we have a
> > FAQ instead of having the win32pipe stuff rolled into the os module to fix
> > it.  Is there some incompatibility?  Is there a licensing problem?

MAL:
> I'd suggest moving the popen from the C modules into os.py
> as Python API and then applying all necessary magic to either
> use the win32pipe implementation (if available) or the native
> C one from the posix module in os.py.
>
> Unless, of course, the win32 stuff (or some of it) makes it into
> the core.

No concrete plans -- except that I think the registry access is
supposed to go in.  Haven't seen the code on patches@python.org yet
though.

> I'm mostly interested in this for my platform.py module...
> BTW, is there any interest of moving it into the core ?

"it" == platform.py?  Little interest from me personally; I suppose it
could go in Tools/scripts/...