[Python-Dev] breaking list.append()

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 09:59:07 -0500 (EST)

Fredrik Lundh writes:
>yes, I think it's bad.  I've been using Python since 1.2,
>and no other change has had the same consequences
>(wrt. time/money required to fix it)

There are more things in 1.6 that might require fixing existing code:
str(2L) returning '2', the int/long changes, the Unicode changes, and
if it gets added, garbage collection -- and bugs caused by those
changes might not be catchable by a nanny.  IMHO it's too early to
point at the .append() change as breaking too much existing code;
there may be changes that break a lot more.  I'd wait and see what
happens once the 1.6 alphas become available; if c.l.p is filled with
shrieks and groans, GvR might decide to back the offending change out.
(Or he might not...)

I have no skills with machines. I fear them, and because I cannot help
attributing human qualities to them, I suspect that they hate me and will kill
me if they can.
    -- Robertson Davies, "Reading"