[Python-Dev] New PythonLabs site revealed!

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@beopen.com
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 16:33:01 -0400 (EDT)

  >> That's a good point.  A bump in major rev number is an
  >> /opportunity/ to break things, like a bone that hasn't healed
  >> right, so that they can be fixed correctly.  We'll lose that
  >> for 2.0, mostly likely because of the tight release schedule.

  GvR> [David Ascher]
  >> Yes, I find that frustrating.  The story for months (years?) has
  >> been that we don't break things because it's a 'dot-release', and
  >> so we've shelved improvements left and right.  Now we don't have
  >> time to do those things even when it _is_ a major release.

  GvR> You have no idea how frustration it is for me!  But sometimes
  GvR> the marketing people force us engineers to act quickly.  Just
  GvR> be glad I'm not following the release schedule that they had
  GvR> *wanted* me to use... :-)

Perhaps I am too easy-going, but I consider the 2.0 release a
'dot-release' masquerading as a major revision.  It might be a little
silly, but it seems even sillier to preserve a naming scheme that
makes users think that the technology is immature.

Jeremy