[Python-Dev] add Demo/imputil/importers.py ?

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 12:46:06 -0700

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 09:55:00AM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > A while back, I pulled the "demo" importers out of imputil.py. I think those
> > should be added into Demo/imputil/.
>
> OK.  Go ahead and create that directory and add the demo importers.

Will do.

> > It would also be Goodness to include JimA's zipimporter. Where would that go?
>
> Same place I'd hope?  Can you check that it works?

Yup and yup.

> We're dependent on you volunteers to maintain relatively non-core
> things like this -- I don't want to extend the feature freeze to
> Demo/, but I also don't have the time to keep the stuff there up to
> date.

Not a problem, and I had figured on being the "point man" on keeping it
working. My query here was more along the lines of "is Demo/imputil/ a good
idea? If so, then I'll run with it." You said "yes", so I'll go put on my
shoes.

> Maybe at some point the Demo directory should become a separate
> distribution, or just a collection of stuff on the web?

I believe a separate distribution. Unpacking the bugger to the main web site
would also be a good option, but that would be a second priority.

I'd throw Tools into the same thing. As a separate distro, you can have a
faster release cycle. ... you could release Idle updates easily and
distinctly from the Python core.

Note: by a "collection on the web", the only view that I have, is that the
collection exists on the python.org web site. Distributed pieces "here and
there" is handled by the Vaults (and similar). The Demo/ directory is a bit
more newbie-ish, so (IMO) it ought to get bundled up somehow since the
Vaults are a bit daunting to find "example of embedding". If the bundle also
happens to reside in an obvious area on python.org? Great.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/