[Python-Dev] revamped Python web site

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 14:38:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> Say a startup company decided to put some resources behind the Python
> Web site -- a full-time Web master, some content developers, etc.
> What would you have them do?  What could be done to open up the site
> to the community and make it more responsive to developers and users?
> What's your wish list for content, services, etc.?
>
> If you've got any ideas, please get back to me soon.

Here's some suggestions - i put things more important to me closer to the
top, more or less.

1. Delegation of sections to individuals or groups.  Eg:

  - topic guides - particular people get management of areas.  (Of
    course, i'd do this with zope, including zwiki pages as well as
    regular zope documents for the respective topic-guide managers
    to use in constructing their content - and for delegating or openning
    up portions of *their* sections to others...)

  - The humor page (i'm sad to see that languishing)

  - Other incidental stuff in the Documentation section of the current
    site

2. Community-contributed news and hints - portal-style membership/
   contribution of news items, reviewed for release or rejection (maybe
   with community-based reviewers voting)

3. Vaults of parnassus already does this, but i'll still mention -
   Contributed software/docs/etc - managed similar to moderated news
   postings, but with classification/cataloguing of artifacts, ability for
   people to vote on desirability for ranking purposes

5. Jobs board - job postings possibly also managed with news-style
   reviewing process

6. Subscription to pages, to get notifcations when they change (probably
   batched, so people don't get too many as something is undergoing
   development).

7. Discussion "area" for coordinating and collecting logs of IRC-style
   chats when hot-topics arise that need rendezvous.

8. Open community wiki(s) for growing interesting little worlds (and with
   my new zwiki nesting-organization features, it may not be too chaotic).

Ken
klm@digicool.com