[Python-Dev] revamped Python web site

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 08 Jun 2000 16:48:49 +0200

Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> Say a startup company decided to put some resources behind the Python
> Web site -- a full-time Web master, some content developers, etc.
> What would you have them do?  What could be done to open up the site
> to the community and make it more responsive to developers and users?
> What's your wish list for content, services, etc.?
>
> If you've got any ideas, please get back to me soon.

Why not turn python.org into a Python portal site with all the
jazz that goes with it, e.g. newsletters, browsable news
forums for different news aspects (business news, new developments,
press references, Python related meetings, etc.), customization
of the information layout, email notification when things
change, chat forums, a Python knowledge base, etc. etc.

The reasoning is that Python is starting to go business and
the site should reflect this move. As more
companies start producing Python tools, I think it might
even be worthwhile considering Python related marketing
on the Python site, e.g. small banners, external links, etc.
This would help finance the site and its administrators.

As far as content goes, I think Python.org is hardly beatable :-)
What's missing is some more service to push its fun factor
which in return pushes Python's acceptance.

Anyway, just a thought...
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg