[Python-Dev] ascii.py?

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 01:43:54 -0400

Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>:
> "Eric S. Raymond" wrote:
> >
> > There has been a vast and echoing silence about the ascii.py module I
> > posted here at Fred Drake's request.  Is it really such a  bad idea?
>
> Without looking closely, or even being particularly knowledgable (how's
> that for a disclaimer!) my instinctive reaction was: "does the ASCII
> subset of Unicode need its own module just before we add Unicode to the
> language?"
>
> It may be that there are some semantics of ASCII that are not captured
> in the Unicode spec. and thus are not generalizable.

ascii.ctrl is one such.

>                                                       I'm pretty
> confident that these ones ARE generalizable:
>
> isalnum
> isalpha
> isascii
> islower
> isupper
> isspace
> isxdigit
>
> How do Unicode users get this information from the famous Unicode
> database and why not merge the Unicode and ASCII versions in 1.6?

Answer: ascii.py is not designed for text processing.  I wrote it to package
some functions useful for classifying *ASCII* data, especially in the
context of roguelike programs that interpret keystrokes coming in through
a curses interface.

(Where this all touches ground is CML2, my replacement configuration
system for the Linux kernel.)
--

..every Man has a Property in his own Person. This no Body has any
Right to but himself.  The Labour of his Body, and the Work of his