[Python-Dev] ascii.py?

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Thu, 01 Jun 2000 22:53:41 -0500

"Eric S. Raymond" wrote:

> There has been a vast and echoing silence about the ascii.py module I
> posted here at Fred Drake's request.  Is it really such a  bad idea?

Without looking closely, or even being particularly knowledgable (how's
that for a disclaimer!) my instinctive reaction was: "does the ASCII
subset of Unicode need its own module just before we add Unicode to the
language?"

It may be that there are some semantics of ASCII that are not captured
in the Unicode spec. and thus are not generalizable. I'm pretty
confident that these ones ARE generalizable:

isalnum
isalpha
isascii
islower
isupper
isspace
isxdigit

How do Unicode users get this information from the famous Unicode
database and why not merge the Unicode and ASCII versions in 1.6?

Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it.
	- http://www.cs.yale.edu/~perlis-alan/quotes.html