[Python-Dev] test_fork1 on SMP?

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 06:04:42 +0200

On Wed, Jul 26, 2000 at 11:05:21PM -0400, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:

> Peter Schneider-Kamp writes:
>  > Could SMP be involved? Do you get the same on a non-SMP system?
>  > Do others have the same problem with SMP systems?

>   I think Barry may have access to an SMP Sparc machine; if so, we'll
> be checking it out there.

I have also seen test_fork1 failures on BSDI, using a SMP machine, but I
haven't tried it on non-SMP (we don't have too many of those). However, all
our BSDI kernels are the same, having been built for SMP. Meetings
permitting (which is doubtful, today :-() I'll see if I can pin that down.

It would, however, be fairly peculiar if test_fork1 breaks on all
SMP-supporting systems... I don't really recall a reason for thread
semantics to change reliably based on kernel/cpu settings, and it would be
silly for them to do so! But I'll admit threads are silly, period ;-)

6-AM-and-preparing-for-a-full-10-hour-day-of-meetings-:-S-ly y'rs,
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>