[Python-Dev] Product iteration

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:44:05 -0500

> Today inner functions don't create cycles involving local variables.
> Lexical scoping would change that.

Fair enough.  To resolve this, an inner function should only have a
reference to the outer function if it actually references the outer
function's locals -- which can be determined at compile time.

> > If you want to use weak references, please try to specify *in detail*
> > which objects would have weak references to which other objects and
> > how the system would resolve these...  I'm never sure that things can
> > be made 100% safe using this technique, so it may help to spell it out
> > for me!
>
> OK, how's that: inner functions have weak reference to variables in the
> same scope
>
> def f():
> 	x = 1
> 	def g():
> 		pass

Insert "print x" in the body of g, and "return g" in the body of f.

> g would have only a weak reference to "x".
>
> I'm changing "no reference" to "weak reference", so I'm not incrementing
> effective reference counting.

Ehm, I'm always confused by the semantics of weak references (you
could say that I haven't a clue about them), so you'd have to do
better than this.

In any case, in your proposal the weak reference to x would go away
when f returns, so if g is exported from f, it breaks!

    def f():
        x = 1
	def g(): print x
	g()
	return g

    gee = f()
    gee()

This would first print 1 (the call to g() inside f()) and then raise a
NameError (probably a new subclass e.g. UnboundOuterNameError).

This behavior is unacceptable, at least to the people who have been
clamoring most for this feature (the Schemers): it is expected that
x is kept alive as long as g lives.

So, try again!

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.pythonlabs.com/~guido/)